10 Tips for Writing Developer Blog Articles
I've been asked in our community Discord for some writing tips, so I hope this list might help boost your skills and confidence.
I like to keep my posts focused and concise so let's jump in. 👇
- Start with a clear objective: Determine what you want to teach or what problem you want to solve and make that the article's focus.
- Use simple language: Avoid technical jargon when possible (especially if aiming at more junior developers) and use plain English where possible. If you are using technical terms, sharing resources is often helpful so newer developers can dive in and learn more without you having to explain everything.
- Use examples and code snippets: Provide real-world examples and helpful code snippets to help illustrate the concepts you're discussing.
- Break down complex topics: Use headings, subheadings, and bullet points to make your content easy to scan and understand.
- Use visuals: Images, diagrams, and graphs can help make complex concepts easier to understand.
- Edit and proofread: Make sure your writing is clear, concise, and error-free. I use tools like Grammarly to make sure I escape some embarrassing typos.
- Stay up-to-date: Keep your articles relevant by incorporating the latest developments in your field.
- Get feedback: Share your articles with others and ask for their feedback to see how you can improve your writing. You can share your articles in our Discord for feedback anytime. I love seeing what people are working on.
- Keep practicing: Writing is a skill that takes time and practice to improve, so keep writing and experimenting to find what works best for you and your audience.
Remember, your articles can be updated later, so don't fear the publish button! It's scary releasing things if you are new to writing but trust me, you'll only get better after you are started.