AWS Community Builders: My Journey and How You Can Join
Even before I was coding, I have always been passionate about learning and sharing my knowledge with others (before coding, I used to teach about beer 🍺).
Over a year ago, I was introduced to the AWS Community Builders program and found it a goldmine for people like me who want to grow and contribute to the cloud community.
In this article, I will share my experience with the AWS Community Builders program and provide some guidance on how you can apply to join this great group of cloud enthusiasts.
What is the "AWS Community Builders"?
The AWS Community Builders program is an Amazon Web Services (AWS) initiative designed to bring together developers, IT professionals, and technology enthusiasts worldwide.
This program aims to provide a platform for members to share their knowledge, experience, and insights while collaborating with like-minded individuals in the AWS ecosystem.
As an AWS Community Builder, you gain access to exclusive resources and opportunities, such as:
- Regular webinars and virtual events on various AWS topics
- Early access to new AWS products and features
- Access to private forums and discussion boards for networking and collaboration
- Recognition and visibility within the AWS community
- Opportunities for mentorship and growth
- Bonus includes exclusive swag, Cloud Academy membership, free credit for an AWS exam, and AWS credits.
My Journey as an AWS Community Builder
I stumbled upon the AWS Community Builders after my friend Catalin posted about it on Twitter.
To be honest, I was impressed mainly by the box of swag...
At the time, applications weren't opened, so I added my name to the waitlist and forgot all about it until a reminder came, so obviously, I applied.
The application process was straightforward, and after a few weeks, I was thrilled to receive an email informing me that I had been accepted into the program!
Being an AWS Community Builder has been an enriching experience for me.
The program has provided countless opportunities to learn, network, and grow professionally.
I have attended webinars on topics ranging from machine learning to serverless architectures, participated in virtual events, and collaborated with other members on various projects.
I don't see myself as an "AWS expert", but you cannot help but learn when surrounded by such fantastic people.
The most valuable thing I gained from the community was a place to ask AWS-specific questions and see all of the fantastic contributions the community made via blog posts.
It got me out of a few tricky problems over the last year.
That brings us to today, where after another application (yes, you need to apply every year), I got accepted back into the community builders program for a second year! 🎉
The second application could have been more responsive, and I had assumed that I wasn't accepted since there were about two months of silence, so that made the email confirming my perks all sweeter.
Now, I'm excited to be back and continue learning from everyone. And after a year of learning from the best, I hope to create more AWS content and training for other people too.
How to Join the AWS Community Builders
If you're interested in joining the AWS Community Builders program, follow these steps:
- Assess your fit: AWS Community Builders are passionate about AWS technologies and have a history of actively sharing their knowledge with others. Before applying, evaluate your experience with AWS, your contributions to the community (such as blog posts, videos, or conference presentations), and your willingness to learn and collaborate. If you still need to do something, I suggest you start today! I'm biased, but you should post your first article here on Codú. 😉
- Prepare your application: Visit the AWS Community Builders portal to access the application form or join the waitlist. You can find it here - https://aws.amazon.com/developer/community/community-builders/. You will need to provide your personal and professional details, along with descriptions of your contributions to the AWS community and your goals as a Community Builder.
- Submit your application: Complete the application form and submit it for review. The AWS Community Builders team will assess your application based on your experience, contributions, and alignment with the program's goals.
- Wait for the response: The selection process can take a few weeks. If your application is successful, you will receive an email inviting you to join the AWS Community Builders program.
It's pretty straightforward. The only advice I can offer is to have at least two solid contributions of articles, talks, or some content around AWS to maximize your chance of success.
The AWS Community Builders program has been an invaluable resource as I continue to expand my knowledge and skills in the AWS ecosystem.
If you create content and use AWS, apply to become an AWS Community Builder.
Good luck, and I hope to see you in the program soon! 🤞
🚨 Want to make friends and learn from peers? You can join our free web developer community here. 🎉